Friday, September 26, 2008

Musalsal Rokti Hoon

Musalsal rokti hoon us ko shehr-e-dil mein aanay se
Magar vo kohkan rukta nahin deevaar dhaanay se
kohkan = mountaineer, dhaana = to destroy

(I always try to stop him from entering my heart. I keep on building high barriers but he keeps on destroying them, implying he always finds a way to get to my heart)

Bhala kiya dukh ke aangan mein sulagti larkiyaan jaanain
Kaheen chuptay hain aansu aanchalon mein chupaanay se

(These innocent girls don't realize that tears can't be hidden, no matter how much you try to wipe them off with your 'aanchal')

Abhi to fasl taaza hai hamaaray harf-o-maani ki
Abhi dartay nahin hum mausamon ke aanay jaanay se

(Background: When crops are grown, weather plays a crucial role as to how much fruit will be reaped. But when the crop is at its full bloom, it can withstand the test of seasons.
The sher means that right now, my words are fresh, I've recently uttered them. I can stand by them because I have all my strength intact to protect them)

Abhi to ishq mein aankhain bujhi hain dil salaamat hai
Zameenain baanjh hoti hain kabhi faslain jalaanay se
Baanjh = barren; unable to produce

(Background: When farmers need to start growing a new crop but have limited land resources, they empty another field by burning that fruit's plants. But sometimes in doing so, the topsoil gets damaged and the land becomes barren.
The sher means that right now, although love has lit its fire inside of me, it hasn't damaged me. The only loss I've suffered is that I've cried too much. But I still have my spirit safe. This fire could've destroyed everything, just like when they burn crops, thay permanently damage the land and then nothing good can ever come out of it)

Mujhay tanha muhabbat ka yeh dariya paar karna hai
Nadaamat ho gee us ke hoslon ko aazmaanay se

(I have to find my own destiny in the journey of love. If I ask my 'mehboob' to join me, he'd refuse and I'd be ashamed of falling in love with a coward)

Humain kis zarf ke kirdaar kay qissay sunaata hai
Tujhay aye sheher hum bhi jaantay hain ik zamaanay se
zarf = capacity (to do good deeds, to be good), kirdaar = character

(Don't lecture me about the goodness of the inhabitants of this city. I've known them for quite some time. I have judged them and I know they're not as righteous as you're making them out to be)

Tujhay bhi zabt-e-gham ke shauq ne patthar bana daala
Tujhay aye dil bohat roka tha rasm-o-raah nibhaanay se
zabt = self control, rasm-o-raah = societal norms

(This is where the true psychologist in me shines out!
The poet is talking to herself here. She's angry at herself for fulfilling certain norms/responsibilities of relationships: friendship, love, being human, etc. When we try to repress out emotions and keep things bottled up, a stage comes where we feel numb. We almost become unable to feel anything at that point, hence the word 'patthar' (stone) is used as a metaphor - devoid of all emotions and sentiments. The head told the heart not to become too involved but her heart chose a different path than her head, rendering her incapable of feelings now. She got hurt very badly)

~Noshi Gilani

1 comment:

Ambareen said...

Thanks a lot for finishing the poem. Although I'm not sure where these two ash'aar would fit. So if you can kindly tell me that too, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks again!