Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ab Kis Se Kahain


Ab kis se kahain aur kaun sunay jo haal tumhaaray baad hua
Is dil ki jheel si aankhon mein ik khaab bohot barbaad hua

(Who do I turn to now [after you] that will listen to me, understand my pain, understand how my dream(s) suffered in my eyes after you left me)

Ye hijr hava bhi dushman hai us naam ke saaray rangon ki
Vo naam jo meray honton per khushbu ki tarah abaad hua
abaad = happily residing/living

(Even the wind that blows now is an enemy of the many colours that were spread on my lips when I would mention your name. It blows them all away with its breeze. It robs me of even the joy, the right, of being able to utter your name)

Is sheher mein kitnay chehray thay, kuch yaad nahin sab bhool gaye
Ik shakhs kitaabon jesa tha vo shakhs zabaani yaad hua
zabaani = from memory; memorized

(I've forgotten everyone that I've known or met. But there was one face that was wonderfully arranged, that used to engage me like a good book does, and that one face is all I remember now - it's like I've memorized that face)

Vo apnay gaaon ki galiyaan theen dil jin mein naachta gaata tha
Ab is se farq nahin parrta na-shaad hua ya shaad hua
shaad = happy

(My heart used to enjoy itself in familiar territories of my village [a seemingly lesser place]. My heart was at peace when it was where it belonged. Now that things have changed, it doesn't even matter if the heart is happy or not. Its happiness doesn't matter anymore)

Be-naam sataaish rehti thee un gehri saanvli aankhon mein
Aisa to kabhi socha bhi na tha dil ab jitna be-daad hua
be = without
sataaish = appreciation
daad = encouragement

(Those eyes, the eyes of my beloved, had appreciation for me -- for no reason. He/She would appreciate me just for existing. I had never thought that I would ever be so unapreciated, so unacknowledged, as I am today)

~ Noshi Gilani

No comments: