Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hamain Justuju-e-Khaab

Hamain justuju-e-khaab ne sonay nahin diya
Ik najf-e-aarzu ko bhi khonay nahin diya
jusutju = search
najaf = (I don't have a clue!)


This poem is full of oxymoron-ish sentiments; a real contradiction between desires felt and steps taken in response to those desires. The desires represent a very average human predisposition (i.e no human is above certain wishes), whereas the actions show a solid command on the feelings. The poet is trying to show that sometimes we might now have any control on our thoughts, but we can definitely dictate our responses to these thoughts, portraying a very powerful aspect of human control.

(In this sher, the poet starts with dream. She says: my desire to dream was so overwhelming that it prevented me from falling asleep. I had a very negligible grip on a desire, but even with that I managed to hold on to my desire, my dream)

Ik aah-o-fughaa.n dil mein ajab shor kiye thee
Per chashm-e-tamanna ko bhigonay nahin diya
aah-o-fughaa.n = wail
chashm = sight
tamanna = khaahish


(My heart was in pain, whining and wailing, but I didn't let that pain turn into tears)

Taskheer-e-kaainaat ki koshish mein thay magan
Dil ko aseer-e-aashiyaa.n honay nahin diya
taskheer = conquer; to overcome
kaainaat = universe
magan = deeply involved [in doing something]
aseer = one who desires something which impressed him/her
aashiyaa.n = home


(I was deeply involved in trying to conquer the world, but I didn't let my heart desire a home of its own (i.e something minute compared to the entire world))

Itna he main ne naaz-e-rafaaqat diya usay
Vaaqif usay mizaaj se honay nahin diya
rafaaqat = companionship
vaaqif = to know something
mizaaj = temperament


(The only pride my partner can have in the partnership between us, is that he's not aware of my actual personality)

Kitnay sitaaray aankh se honay ko thay ravaan
Us ajnabi nigaah ne ronay nahin diya
ravaan = to set out (as in a journey)

(My eyes were full of tears, about to flow out, but the way he was looking at me, like a stranger, stopped me from crying out in front of him)

~ Faiza Javed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Itna he main ne naaz-e-rafaaqat diya usay
Vaaqif usay mizaaj se honay nahin diya ..

Irony ..... ??

Rida said...

beautiful... :)

Rida said...

i have also created a blog...would like u to visit that aswell.
ridasdiary.blogspot.com

Ambareen said...

Sorry for the late reply.
@ Abid: No, I don't think it's irony. It's just a good way of saying that although him and I shared something resembling a relationship, but I didn't let him come close (enough) to me that he'd get an understanding of my personality.

@ Rida: Most definitely! Ever since I read the poems you posted on Raheem Shahzad's blog, I've been thinking how nice it would be if I can find out where to read more of Rida's choice.
Sweet delight, here I come to indulge in thee!